By having a drabble tree. 100 members and 100 words. If we could hit a hundred drabbles as well, I'd be very happy but I realise we are just small and perfectly formed ::g::
For those of you new to drabble trees, the idea behind the tree is fairly simple - a drabble is included in this post, and then anyone can riff off it by taking a phrase or sentence from it and writing their own drabble that incorporates it. The drabble, by the way, does not actually have to follow the previous drabble, just incorporate something from it.
Then, as the thread expands, you can also riff off any drabble in the comment threads by replying to that comment and incorporating a word or a phrase from that one. Over time you then end up with (hopefullly) a lot of comment threads taking previous drabbles in the tree and spinning off them.
The rules are fairly simple.
1. All drabbles should relate to Primeval, but there are no limits on genres or pairings. So if you see a phrase in a drabble and want to run with it, you can write gen, het, slash, future fic, fix-it, smut, whatever you like. Jump on in!
2. A drabble is a ficlet of exactly 100 words, but we're not going to hold you to that, especially as we've hit 101 members ::g::. It would be fun to try and make it a real drabble, but as long as it's somewhere thereabouts we're not going to quibble. Or count it.
3. All drabbles must be posted as comments to this entry.
4. Please post your drabble as a reply to the drabble you're riffing from, and highlight the sentence or phrase you're including in bold.
5. Please use the phrase you're using in the subject line.
6. Each drabble must include a word, phrase or sentence from a previous drabble in the tree. As I've already said, what you don't need to do is continue the previous drabble - it's about taking a phrase and using that, not necessarily about telling a longer story in short pieces. It's okay to continue a theme for a few drabbles but I'd prefer it if people didn't start writing longer pieces. Apart from anything else, it does tend to make other people reluctant to jump on in and riff off a previous piece if they get the impression that they're interrupting something. :)
7. You don't need to be a member of the community to come and play if you want to. We're kind of
8. You don't even have to have an LJ to come and play but if you're posting anonymously, please write your pen name at the end of the drabble or in the subject line.
9. You can post as many times as you'd like - in fact, the more the merrier and knock yourself out. Just have fun :)
10. There is no 10.
And a drabble to start us off:
The female-not-like-Rex brought him here today. It's different from the hatching grounds - the clouds are hard and unyielding, the sky stormy grey. It smells like the burning places, not flowers or home, and the many suns overhead hum, the air tasting like lightning. But the female-not-like-Rex is here, swirling around with her flock, her male following, and, appeased, Rex circles lazily, gliding to a perch that's high and out of reach.
When the sun is low they'll return to their nest. The female-not-like-Rex will stroke his wings gently while her mate watches, chirruping softly.
Rex stretches his wings and waits.